Pages

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Things I haven't always been thankful for

This is Thanksgiving weekend in Canada which generally means a long weekend and a lot of food with the family. And in church we make sure to especially thank God. However, today I was not able to make it to church because I was working. That is one negative aspect of my job. There are also many positive aspects. It turns out most things are like that: there are good and bad sides of anything.
So, here are some things that I am thankful for, because there is so much good in them. Sometimes I am tempted to look only at the negative side of these things and have an ungrateful attitude about them. But actually there is so much good! Without further ado... the list of things I have not always been thankful for.

Being in Nova Scotia: Growing up here, I did not really appreciate it. But after being away from the Maritimes during the past two summers, I return to Nova Scotia thankful to call this place home. I suspect I will have to leave here soon and since being back I have really appreciated it, despite some frustrations from
"reverse culture shock" (like being stunned and overwhelmed in the middle of Superstore). At the moment, it seems like I may not be in Nova Scotia this time next year. I think God has really blessed me with some amazing and quintessentially Nova Scotian experiences that I will be able to remember when I am far away. I never want to live in a place and wish I am somewhere else. Maybe when I was a kid I wished that at times but now I am just thankful. Click on the photo and read the caption to see some of the ways I have gotten to enjoy my beautiful province this fall so far!
Clockwise from top left: apple-picking in Port Williams, hiking at Cape Chignecto, wine-tasting at Luckett Vineyards, picnicking in East Noel and mud-sliding in Wolfville

  
Acadia Christian Fellowship: This one deserves a bullet-point all on its own. One of my favourite things about being back in Wolfville is getting to be a part of the lovely community that is ACF. I have to admit, I have not always been thankful for ACF. I have always loved it and everyone in it but there was a time when the responsibility of leading what seemed to be a failing group became a very heavy burden. But I am thankful that now ACF is not a burden, but a joy. That is just the kind of thing Jesus specializes in :)
Again, click on the photo to see a larger version and see some of the ways ACF has been a joy this year.
Clockwise from top left: Tim tam slam, making care packages, worshipping on the waterfront and a Bible study party
Working as a waitress: A lot of times the first question we ask people is "What do you do?" and so I guess often we define and label each other by our jobs. Well, my job is a waitress. And to be honest, when people ask me what I do I sometimes feel a little embarrassed or ashamed because somewhere inside me I have this idea that I can do better. But the thing is, this is reminding me first of all to not define people by what they do for a living. So I am very thankful for that. Also, being a waitress, one of those "invisible people" jobs (that is, a job where ideally I am to be unnoticed and forgotten, simply someone to make the dining experience more smooth and pleasurable), makes me notice "invisible people" more: the cashier at the grocery store, the barista at JustUs, and so on. This is good.

Being single: For a long time I was not thankful for this. But somewhere along the way I realized I quite like it. It seems like in our society being single is seen as less desirable as being in a relationship. Our society sees romantic love as the fulfillment of all our desires. But I am realizing this is not true because I am happy being single. I think I would be happy being in a relationship, too, but the fact is, having a significant other is not the thing that brings me joy. Jesus is the real joy-giver! And right now I am enjoying the single life in all its freedom and unique adventures.

Thanks for reading that, friends. So often things that seem bad turn out to be actually good. Happy [Canadian] Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment