Pages

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

My year in Bible verses

As another calendar year has just come to a close, the time comes to reflect on the past year. I would like to do this using Bible passages that have been meaningful to me throughout the year.
Habakkuk 3:14, NRSV
Though the fig tree does not blossom,
and no fruit is on the vines;
though the produce of the olive fails,
and the fields yield no food;
though the flock is cut off from the fold,
and there is no herd in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the LORD;
I will exult in the God of my salvation.

I read this at the beginning of the year and it has been a comfort throughout 2014. I had always known that God's goodness is not dependent on circumstances, but this year I was able to experience that fully. God has been good during a less-than-perfect job, unexpected illness, untimely death, and the struggle of transitions. And though it may not seem like there is much to rejoice, I can exult in the God of my salvation.
Township of Woolwich, Ontario

2 Peter 3:9, NIV
The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

This verse is about God's promise that he will return. For me this year, it was a reminder to be patient. To speak with candor, at this point in my life I feel like I am in an awkward in-between phase between being a carefree undergraduate and being a bona fide adult with a career and a marriage and kids. But God is teaching me to be patient, and to embrace this transitional time in life. He is not slow in keeping ANY of his promises.
University of Waterloo
The first half of the book of Mark

I spent a week studying this with a group of students.
Here are some of my thoughts from that week:
There is something coming up in our study of Mark-- this pattern of God allowing people to get into these desperate situations, and then showing his glory. Like Jesus asleep in the stern during a storm. Like allowing Jairus' daughter to die and for the parents to go through that anguish before raising her. Why? Is it because God wants us to experience the desperation we would feel is we were not dependent upon him? I guess I mean, in order to experience what we no longer have to face? Would we be less thankful if we were less desperate to begin with? 

I am still struggling with this one.
Desperate people at MarkEast 2014


Isaiah 43:19, NIV
 See, I am doing a new thing!
    Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the wilderness
    and streams in the wasteland.


Somebody read this verse during my trip to Cameroon in March. That trip was a huge paradigm-shifter for me, as this verse indicates. God is doing a new thing in the Bible translation movement, and I learned about it during my time in Cameroon. Bible translation no longer needs to be done by white, Western missionaries-- the chief purpose of these missionaries should be empowering nationals to do this work themselves. And in places like Cameroon, people in in the many language groups of the country are engaging in Bible translation and literacy, and God is doing amazing things. He is doing a new thing. This year, I learned to watch out for new things God is doing.
God speaks Aghem (language of Northern Cameroon)
Also, Cameroon is beautiful

Habakkuk 1:5
 The Lord replied,
“Look around at the nations;
    look and be amazed!
For I am doing something in your own day,
    something you wouldn’t believe
    even if someone told you about it.

And so, this is the verse I hold onto as 2015 begins. Somehow I managed to find verses in obscure Habakkuk for two consecutive New Years. God is doing something we wouldn't believe, even if someone told you about it! If at the beginning of 2014 I knew I would get to see two friends get baptized (and joyfully hear about two more), friends healed of sickness, my brother (and a bunch of other friends) get engaged, and my family/church family keeping faith despite unforeseen difficulties, I would not have believed it. That makes me hopeful for 2015. I wonder what God is doing this year? I wonder what I will look back on at the end of the year and say, "Who woulda' thunk?" 
Here's some artwork my super talented sister did. Please don't use it without giving credit :)
 Thanks for reading, friends. Maybe I met you this year- for that I am thankful, too. What a year! I am hopeful for 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment