Pages

Monday, November 19, 2012

It's not about me

This semester at Acadia, we have been gathering together as an InterVarsity group every two weeks for "Large Group." We gather at a spot on campus on Friday night, sing praise and worship songs, hear a testimony from someone in our group, and hear a speaker. This year, we have had many interesting speakers, like a missionary fresh from Mongolia, a Wycliffe worker speaking about Bible translation (this was close to my heart), and an InterVarsity worker speaking about justice issues and the urban poor. After the large group, we usually enjoy just hanging out together. More often than not, this means a trip to Tim Hortons. I have enjoyed the Large Groups immensely this semester.
This past Friday, I got to be in charge of organizing large group and leading it! I did this a couple of times last year but not this year really.
And I can honestly say it was the best one we've had yet! So... yes, I wanted to pat myself on the back. Yay Hannah, organizing a successful event. But then I realized: it's not about me.
People did not come out to see me. They did not wonder what to do on Friday night and conclude "I think I'll go watch Hannah lead ACF." And if they did, I did not do a very good job planning it: I want people to come out to ACF because they want to encounter Jesus. I am overjoyed when I see lots of people attending these events because I see a beautiful community is growing.

This community is not about me. It is not about you, either. It is about Jesus. If this community is not Christ-centred, then I don't really want to be a part of it.

I read this in the Message and it's really different from the NIV but I think it is 100 percent true:

You can develop a healthy, robust community that lives right with God and enjoy its results only if you do the hard work of getting along with each other, treating each other with dignity and honor.
-James 3:17-18

No comments:

Post a Comment