Pages

Friday, November 30, 2012

This Week

Friends, it's been a while since I have written. And here's why: it's been such a wonderful week! I just could not decide what to write about because I have experienced a lot of lovely things (and a few not-so-lovely things) that I have learned something from. So I think I will just write about EVERYTHING.

The first thing I have to say is, I read a book called Love Does. The author is Bob Goff. There is so much I want to say about this book. I will just say this: read it. Reading it will make your life quite a bit better.
In fact, here is a link to buy it. Either that or you can just borrow it from me, I will gladly lend it to you. I have spent a lot of time this week telling everyone I see about this book.

Music video in the woods (photo from my roommate, Sarah)
Another thing that happened this past week is that some friends from another school visited. We know each other through InterVarsity, and we celebrated their visit with a potluck. At the end of this potluck, we ended up making a music video to a Christian song. In the woods. At night. And it was one of the most enjoyable things of my university career. There were so many different instruments like a guitar, a melodica, a ukulele, a banjo, tambourines, and even just a metal bowl with a spoon. What a unique way to worship!

The next morning, Allison (one of the girls who was visiting) woke up bright and early to go on a sunrise walk, and some people joined her. It also happened to be the first snow!








Afterwards, they ate breakfast at our apartment. There is really nothing I like more than eating with people around our kitchen table!  That Sunday was full of Christian community, from the early-morning walk, to church, to meeting some friends on the way to eat the BEST crepes ever, to skating (ok, confession, I did not go skating, I just met people afterwards for hot chocolate), to going to the last young adults Bible study of the semester.

This past weekend, I saw some of the most wonderful examples of Christian community. From eating together, to singing together, to praying together, there is something special about these people. I am overwhelmingly blessed to know them.
 
Young adults Bible study!

But the week- oh this week. Stress overtook me, I am afraid, and I spent many an hour in the library, puzzling over math problems and trying to sound like I know what I am talking about on this thesis. On Tuesday, I was having a very difficult time. I was in the library and I felt like I was drowning in work! My birthday was on Wednesday so I was feeling very sorry for myself. I was in the library and I may or may not have shed some silent tears (The stress got to me!). It was shaping up to be a very sad day. BUT that evening my family spontaneously visited here!
We had a most delightful trip out for dessert and my mother gave me a cross-stitch/needlepoint. Here it is. And below it is the note that came with it:



So that is another thing I am thankful for: family. I don't think any family is quite like mine. The kind of family who brings me squash. The kind of family who is completely OK with having a dance party to my new "African playground" CD. The kind of family who does this cool combination of group hug and prayer which is maybe kind of cheesy but I love it. We don't get a lot of time together and when we do, it is filled with joy and laughter.

Just one more thing I want to say: After this crazy, stressful week, I went to a concert last night of the university vocal ensemble, chamber choir and chamber orchestra. They performed a number of pieces including ones by Schubert, Eric Whitacre, and also Vivaldi's Magnificat.
It rapturous, enchanting, and life-giving. The most amazing thing was: it was free for students to go to! The chance to see a live orchestra- for free! And top-notch performance. I went away feeling FULL. 

There's a lot of other awesomeness from this week that I wish I could go into.
But the gist of it is this: God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment