Pages

Monday, May 12, 2014

MarkEast 2014 Reflections

This past week, I got to be part of an InterVarsity retreat called MarkEast. By virtue of still being a part-time student, I could join the over one hundred university students from Eastern Canada studying the Gospel of Mark for one week. This took place at the beautiful campus of the University of New Brunswick in Fredericton, and it was a truly powerful week.

We drove there on a Friday with my little black Kia laden with luggage and music. The open road was reflected in the rearview mirror, and as we drove the four-hour journey, I felt excited. I was not sure what to expect, but my prayer was that I, and everyone else there, would be open to what God would do. I wanted to not just hear, but to understand. It was my prayer that my heart would be softened and attune to whatever God may say. I was not sure what God needed to tell me, but I prayed that I would encounter him somehow.

I certainly encountered Jesus at MarkEast, and I know others did too. Having already studied the first half of Mark in 2012 and the second half of Mark last year, I went back again to the beginning of the book. This time, I heard new perspectives, and the things I was learning applied to my life in a new way. This time, I found it easier to notice the themes that encompass the book of Mark. Jesus is very patient with the disciples as he leads them into a new understanding of the Kingdom of God. The book of Mark, it seems, is about redefining everyone's ideas about who God is and what his mission is.

One part that stood out to me was near the beginning of the book when Jesus has just called his first disciples. He has healed Peter's mother-in-law and many others in Peter's hometown of Capernaum. But then, Jesus goes off by himself to pray. Peter comes looking for him, at which point Jesus says he will now go to other villages to preach. As we studied this passage, I put myself in Peter's shoes. Up till now, Peter has only seen Jesus work among his family and his own people. Peter maybe thought Jesus only worked in Capernaum. But Jesus' vision is so much bigger than just Capernaum.

This story parallels my own. I have seen Jesus work in astounding ways these past four years I have lived in Wolfville. But Jesus' story is much bigger than that. He is not limited to one place. His Kingdom is far-reaching. As I move on, I feel confident that Jesus goes with me. I am thrilled to see what I will discover about him and what he will do.

I was not the only person to whom God spoke this week. Lots of other people saw God work in their life as well. There were days when the Holy Spirit could be felt tangibly. I am encouraged when I think of where God is leading everyone. From Fredericton, we are going to the world: to East Asia, to Guatemala, to Halifax, Montreal, and of course, camp. Is the world ready?

Here is a MarkEast playlist.

1 comment: