Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Kenya believe it?

In just two short days I will be on my way to Kenya where I will be working with an amazing organization called Chalice on their eRoots project. In the words of Chalice's website,
Working with small Community Development Groups (CDGs), the eRoots Programme provides resources, education, training and formation so they can grow their own food and develop sustainable agri-businesses. eRoots provides the structure, oversight and accountability required to ensure farmers move toward independence.

I am so excited to be part of empowering people in rural Kenya! I even get to do a lot of work involving research and statistics, which makes my analytic heart sing. Now, here are some answers to questions you may have:

But Hannah, didn't you want to work in Nova Scotia?
Yes, I did. I had been looking for jobs since the late spring after completing my Master's degree but did not settle on anything. This time of transition allowed me to do things like work at camp, continue supporting the refugee sponsorship project, and plan and participate in Colchester Local Food Week. It also allowed me to think a little bit more about the future and my long-term goals. I am really interested in furthering my academic career and I decided to start working towards a September 2017 start date for that. I have to say that working overseas was not really on my radar at this time. Every single position I applied for was within the province- except for this internship in Kenya, which I applied for on a whim. Before I knew it, I was accepted and, here I am, getting ready to go. The short-term nature of it lets me continue thinking about what to do next! I also suspect that God may have some plan for my life involving Africa- after all, I keep on ending up there. I still love Nova Scotia though and want to continue to work and research for the betterment of this rocky coast.

How long will you be gone for?
I will be spending four months in Kenya.

So you'll miss Christmas?
Sadly, yes.

Will you blog when you are gone?
Of course! I will be blogging here, and check out http://www.acic-caci.org/blog/category/internships for a couple of featured posts by me.

Who is going to take over the refugee sponsorship project while you are gone?
My neighbour, Kenley, who is a administration superstar and hardworking member of TAC Welcomes Refugee Families will be taking over my responsibilities while I am away. One of the things I took into account when making my decision whether to go to Kenya was the refugee sponsorship project. As I was deciding, though, we heard from the family we want to sponsor: they are expecting another child! This of course increases the amount of fundraising we have to do, and delays the arrival date for the family. I am so incredibly grateful that we have a team of people committed to radical hospitality who are working on this family's behalf. God has given me a lot of peace and I know I am leaving this project in very capable hands (God's hands!).
I have always loved this drawing by my friend Mark, and it expresses my life now pretty well. Used without permission ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment