Pages

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Halfway through

This week was the halfway mark of the summer session here. So, on the 14th of the month, here is a  list of 14 things I know now that I did not know before June 11th.
1. [ai no hau tu rid ðɪs sɛntəns.] (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet )
2.  I understand this quote more fully:  "Linguistics is shear servitude and drudgery until we have the joy of seeing order emerge from chaos."- Robert Longacre. 
3. Canadian English and American English is much more different than I originally thought! For example, the American students here had never heard of a toque or of poutine. And they have funny expressions as well: like one girl says "I might should do that," and things like that, and considers it to be perfectly standard. 
4. Man does not live on peanut butter sandwiches alone.
5. The translation for "two yellow tortillas" in Tlapaneco, a language of Mexico
6. Blackberry phones do not survive rainy, muddy hikes at Golden Ears.
A rainy hike

7. "Some languages are crazy"-my phonology professor.
8. Five large pots is WAY too much rice to feed forty people.
9. Always go into the right lane at the border crossing.
10. Not locking your dorm room door could result in a late-night conversation you have no recollection of, as you were asleep for the entire conversation.
11. The best music for doing a mini grammar sketch is a mashup of dubstep and classical. 
12. Arrested Development is a hilarious T.V. show! 
13. I don't think I could ever be a language surveyor. 
and finally, I now know...
14.  Why peasant men can't get wives.

No comments:

Post a Comment