Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Why Acadia does not need a revival

It was a typical Monday in autumn. A few of us were gathered for our weekly Bible study in the basement of my residence. My good friend Shelby was leading the study on 2 Corinthians, and, as always, we shared some good discussion and laughs. We then somehow had the idea:
What if Acadia experienced a revival?
OK, I have to be honest here. I was imagining a scene somewhat like this one:
And so the coin was termed "Revival on the grassy A!" as a joke.
You see, in the middle of our football field there is an enormous red "A" in the middle. We had this image in our minds of just a bunch of people in the middle of the football field, praying and worshipping Jesus. Well, at least that was the image I had. I wanted to see the Holy Spirit show his power on campus. I wanted to see everyone repenting and I wanted to see the numbers at prayer meeting and Bible studies skyrocket.
Well.
I wanted the wrong thing.
Yes, that would be a wonderful thing to see! But it should not be our primary goal.
I think I wanted revival because I wanted Christianity to be popular and exciting. But what I did not realize was that Christianity will never exactly be "popular." It is for the weak and the humble. If I am excited about following Jesus because everyone is, that is not truly seeking him, is it?
And I forget how exciting following Jesus really is in the everyday life, even without hordes of people and amazing miracles happening. His compassion is new every morning!
The grassy A
 So, I think I was wrong. I don't think Acadia needs a revival, even though I would really like one.
I do think, though, that everyone at Acadia, as with the rest of the world, needs Jesus. I want to be the Christ's ambassador there, relying on him and leaving room for him to work without trying to push my ideas or plans of how I think things should be done. Nobody needs a revival. What we do need is to know God.

I will close with the words of Jesus himself, as paraphrased in the Message. What freeing, liberating words!
"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

No comments:

Post a Comment