Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Urbana

Urbana is the name of a missions conference for students that is put on by InterVarsity. It happens every three years in St. Louis, Missouri. This year, there were about 18,000 people there. I was one of them.
The theme of the conference was "The Great Invitation," from the parable of the great banquet in Luke 14. We are invited to a great banquet, the opportunity to serve Jesus. I need to digest some things from the banquet of Urbana. My little green notebook is full of cursive in black pen, little tidbits of things I heard from the speakers, seminar leaders, and others. Already, I have watched videos of some of the speakers from Urbana, because I think their messages needed be heard more than once to sink in.
Besides the main sessions when the thousands upon thousands were gathered in a football stadium and worshiped our God in many different languages and styles, there were also morning Bible studies, afternoon seminars (I got to take part in the Canadian Student Leader Track), an exhibit hall with row on row of missions organizations and seminaries, a bookstore, communal meals, and, at the end of each day, a roommate huddle.


Building caregiver kits
What was in the kits
The first few days at Urbana, I was absolutely overwhelmed. Exhausted from the traveling and the time change and the stress of constantly being around thousands of people, I was in survival mode for the first few days, just trying to get through it, looking for any opportunity to rest. But somehow, it became enjoyable to me as the week went on. The crowds of people still frustrated me but it was encouraging to think that these were people like me, people who had come to hear from God and who were open to serving Jesus. This was especially evident at the Caregiver Kit Build. One night, we were told to try not to bring anything with us to the evening session except for a pen, so that our hands could be free. Arriving at the Dome, we saw that the floor was covered with boxes. Near the stage were two shipping crates. That evening, we learned about the tragedy of AIDS in Africa and the way Caregivers- community volunteers with no medical training who cared for their neighbours by praying for them, rubbing their shoulders, making tea, and other small things- were serving their communities. That night, we got to help the Caregivers by assembling kits for them to use: kits filled with washcloths, cotton pads, latex gloves, water purifiers, soothing gels and medications. We even got to write an encouraging note to the Caregivers in the packages and put it in. I could feel the Holy Spirit so much that night. We watched a video about a community in Swaziland that the Urbana organizers had visited. A Caregiver was named Shortie. She would go around to her neighbours and show them love any way she could. From the video, it was clear to see the beautiful heart this woman had. I got goosebumps when, to everybody's surprise, Shortie walked onto the Urbana stage, to a standing ovation. I got goosebumps when a pharmaceutical rep who had changed his corporate culture into a generous one declared "Tonight, you are going to change the world." OK, there were a lot of goosebumps involved. And I know it's not all about goosebumps. But I think that night deserved some goosebumps. We were celebrating what God had done (and is doing!) for us by helping others in the world who need it. I know the teensy bit of love I showed by filling two bags full of supplies is nothing compared to the love Shortie has for her neighbours each day. And I know that love is nothing compared to the love Jesus has for us.

This will probably be the first post of many about Urbana!

No comments:

Post a Comment