Pages

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Why I'm involved in student ministry, and why you should be, too

 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.
-Jesus Christ

I believe that we are called to be missionaries wherever we are. Not just when we are on that short-term missions trip to a Central American country, not just when we are at Bible camp, but also in the place we live, the place we are planted. That place for me is Acadia University.
I came here in 2010 as a scared, shy frosh wondering if my faith would survive. But it more than survived: it thrived here, as I found a group of Christians who showed me amazing hospitality, love, and discipleship
At the end of first year, I was nominated for a leadership position within the campus's InterVarsity group.
The truth was I did not think I could take on leadership. But I did, and there were many challenges, but also many blessings. There were things that I considered failures: Bible studies that only two people showed up to. Being the only person at morning prayer meetings. Baking a flop of a cake for a fundraiser. But I know that God does not consider these things failures, because I was faithful to Him. That is why I am coming back for another year. I am coming back because I know that no matter how big my fear of failing is, God's love for the people here is bigger.

When I came here, I thought it was just a stepping stone for my real mission career: a place where I could get the education to go to the mission field. What I did not realize that I was entering the mission field. If you are a Christian and are on a university campus, consider yourself a missionary. There are innumerable opportunities to share our faith and to demonstrate the wonderful Kingdom of God.

In the same way, anyone who holds on to life just as it is destroys that life. But if you let it go, reckless in your love, you'll have it forever, real and eternal.
-Jesus (The Message)

No comments:

Post a Comment